Sunday, April 1, 2012

Testimony about Jesus and Funds Update

So first I figured I would give you guys a funds update. My goal is $2500. I have received a camera for a pastor there and also $1235. Of the $2500 I was hoping about 100 would go to the camera. So I have officially raised $1325 of my $2500. For you all who aren't the greatest at math. That means I only $1175 left to go with 2 months before my trip! thank you to everyone who has helped out and prayed!

So now I want to give you all a little testimony about Jesus. And tell you all why I love Africa so much. I grew up knowing about God because I went to a Catholic school. I learned some stories but never knew that God actually wanted me to ask questions and learn about his personal and loving side that just wants my affection. I ended up meeting my friend Michael on a baseball team and spent the night at his house one Sunday night. Woke up the next morning, and went to church with him. It was a nondenominational church where people were dancing and singing and clapping. It was quite the experience. Besides being a little weirded out, I loved it. I kept wanting to go back. And I formed a great relationship with the whole Riddering family (Michael's family). I felt the presence of God in that church and in the people who went there, but I never fully bought into it all. God was real, but I still wanted to do my own thing. Then high school hit. And I started partying and doing stupid stuff, but still put on the mask to the people outside of high school that I was a good kid who loved church. The partying continued from Sophomore year up until halfway through Senior year. Then  Jeff (Michael's dad), told me how he was going to Burkina Faso and wanted to know if I wanted to come. At SLUH, Seniors spend the whole month of January doing service and I figured doing service in Africa was way cooler than doing it in a nursing home. So I went. It was a huge culture shock when I got there. Everyone was so kind and hospitable. Giving food and things to me when they didn't have enough for themselves. All the Burkinabe were humble servants, especially the Christians. The church services that I went to were even crazier then the first nondenominational service I went to in St. Louis. They poured their hearts out to God and praised Him even when they barely had enough to get by. They genuinely loved God. I was overwhelmed. That night I remember laying in bed thinking about everything that happened that day and I asked God if I could love Him like the Burkinabe people do. And God answered me. It was weird. It wasn't an audible voice but it was a voice. God said, "Brenden, I have given you so much and you aren't doing anything with it. And these people have barely anything and they are worshipping me with their whole hearts." That broke me. God gave me all the resources to love him and I am going out and doing nothing with it. I knew I had to change. And God changed me. I wasn't the same. I loved God and loved what he did for me. He died on the cross and took me to Africa to show me the truth of that. Now God has called me back to change the people's lives that changed mine. I want to show the nonChristian people this love and this desire God has for each person. For now it is a temporary trip, but in a few years I will be living there permanently. So be on the look out for some revival in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment