Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A La Maison de Riddering


It is 930 here in Yako and it has been a long couple of days. We left from Ouaga on Monday later than we expected because of some car issues. The belt on the engine kept breaking and we got delayed for around 8 hours. But that is Africa and things like that are bound to happen. You have to just roll with everything.

These days in Yako have been spent catching up with people, seeing my kids at the orphanage, praying, and struggling with French. Monday night when we got into Yako, we went to the orphanage’s kids’ prayer meeting they have on Monday nights. It was awesome seeing all of them seeking God and pouring out their heart to Him. Tuesday was the first full day here and it was very much so full. I woke up to the Muslim prayer call at 430 am and I decided if they are praying this early then I will too. SO I opened up my Bible and prayed for the 30 minutes it went on and headed back to bed. I woke up a little after and spent most of the day at the orphanage meeting and getting to know a couple of awesome German missionary girls (Anne and Judith) and hanging out with the kids. It is hard to go into detail but the highlight was going to the market with 3 of the girls. I got one girl (Phani) to say she was going to buy me a motorcycle, but it doesn’t look like that will be happening. Later Tuesday the kids had a Bible study where they talked about how its not how much you have because God uses the small amount that we have to do great things (like Gideon and the parable of the mustard seed). It was amazing to hear since I am some college kid with barely anything trying to make a difference in a whole people group.

Today was quite the great day! I again woke up to the prayer call and did the same thing as the night before. Then when I officially woke, the Ridderings, myself, and the German girls went to a place to get eggs for breakfast (not exactly fine dining since it was outside on a dirty metal table with flies all around, but the eggs with onion and a piece of bread was delicious!). I then got a haircut from Anne. She did a pretty good job! After I got the haircut I talked with Pastor Valentine (1 of the 3 pastors in the town) and he said he was going to be keeping me busy with work. We discussed doing evangelism too which I am very excited about. I then spent time with the orphanage babies which was great. After that I went to a hill in the middle of the town that overlooks both sides of the city and prayed for a while. Just that God’s spirit would come down and that this town would glorify Him. It was a good time of prayer. After that, a nap. And after that I decorated the church for a wedding tomorrow! I am very excited for it. Tomorrow is going to be a very fun day! We are going to a wedding as well as giving the kids at the orphanage a special treat of going swimming at a hotel pool an hour away. All of the kids are so excited because they have never done anything like this before!

God is already at work in my heart and in this town through the Ridderings at Ruth Cox (the full time missionaries). I have been opened again to how much these non Christians need Jesus. They need a hope and only Jesus can fulfill it. I am struggling with the language barrier right now but my French is getting better. I am excited for the rest of this summer. The prayer aspect is the main thing I am focusing on until I start meeting with the Pastors every day to do the physical side of things. Both sides are needed and so I am happy to begin with the prayer side. I just want God to be glorified in Burkina Faso. The main thing I can ask is for prayer for hearts to be open this summer to God’s Word. A couple of smaller things in prayer are: some of the orphanage boys are taking a very big test (bigger than finals) tomorrow (pray for wisdom and knowledge), there is a rash going around the orphanage (pray for healing), I am horrible at French (pray for patience and God to radically break in with a flowing river of knowledge [kidding about the flowing river but serious about the patience]). Thank you all for your prayers and support!! I can’t wait to let you know what all God is doing in Yako and the whole country of Burkina Faso!!



Ps..the wedding tomorrow is for two Christians! So it is so cool seeing God unite two Christians in a Muslim town! and also pictures are impossible to upload. I am going to try to bring some back in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment