I am in safely in Burkina! The trip started Saturday morning
way too early and now it is Monday June 4th in Burkina, almost 1 am.
It was a long road of travelling. With two 6 hour layovers. Luckily the first
layover my wonderful girlfriend Ani picked me up from the airport and we hung
out in the cell phone lot. It was such a good time to see her before I left! The
trip over to Brussels was a long one mainly spent reading the Bible and the
book I just finished called Living on the Devil’s Doorstep. The book talks
about Floyd McClung’s journey as a missionary in Afghanistan and Amsterdam. It
is truly amazing. One big thing that I was blown away with was the question he
was asked, “Do you really care?” That question rang in my heart as I read it. I
truly asked myself if I truly care about God’s people and each one as an
individual. Do I really love them as God loves them? Am I really giving an
effort? The logical answer would seem to be yes because I am flying across the
world to help people. But it wasn’t that easy. God brought me to Matthew 22 and
the Great Commandment of loving God with all of ourselves and loving our
neighbor. The call he gives there isn’t some basic call. It is a call of giving
up everything for Him and His people. That pretty much took up my whole flight to
Brussels. Once I got to Brussels I was going to venture into the city, but it
was rainy and because of miscommunication with the Ridderings, it didn’t work
out. I then decided I would go to sleep in a bench in the airport. Next thing I
knew, Mike Riddering was waking me up. After a little bit of catching up we
hoped on the airplane to Africa. I jumped back into my Bible for a few minutes
then decided I needed to head back to bed. I slept for the next 5 hours and woke
up to read my Bible again. God brought me to the idea of what truly following
Him looked like. It isn’t some surface thing, it isn’t about the works. He
showed me how its about the heart and how if I don’t actually seek Him
diligently, then I won’t find Him. So to say the least. God is already working
in my heart.
One cool little thing that happened today was how God was
teaching me to love others. Ani gave me a bag of candy for my flight and
although it looked delicious and it was a wonderful gift. I ended up giving it
away to a Muslim African family with 4 little girls. They were very
appreciative and although I didn’t preach the Gospel (because of the language
barrier), I loved on them.
I am now sitting in the mission house in the capital city
waiting for tomorrow when we get to the real town where we are staying at.
Hopefully that happens though because the radiator in the car isn’t working too
well! We will see!
ps..pictures take forever to upload. so i doubt you will be seeing very many
No comments:
Post a Comment